android
Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Computer not recognising Zen

OK, i have just gotten my vision M, and when I plug it in after installing all the software the media explorer thing says it's not connected when It definately is
Also, I cannot turn it on, I try to turn it on but it slides back to the middle.
A blue light is on at the top, also it is supposed to be charging but nothing is on the screen
The sync manager also says it is not connected
when I connect it the blue goes up the top

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 PM

The blue light needs to be flashing to indicate that it is charging.

You really need to charge that thing up all the way before you use it for the first time. If you don't have a wall charger (*that is specifically designed and/or rated for the ZVM*), using the USB charging method could take a while.

If you plugged it in the USB and the light isn't flashing, your battery may be too low to turn on the USB port and thus you are only getting a trickle charge through the USB and not the full USB voltage.

So either charge it with an AC adapter plugged into the dongle (sync adapter) or leave it plugged in to the USB overnight.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 PM

It's flashing, And I don't have the AC Charger
It's certainly flashing at the top, I'm using the USB.
Just no icon appears on the screen.
Also is it normal for the on button to not lock into the on position?
Thanks for the fast reply, I'm stressing out here

Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Just no icon appears on the screen.
That's because it's not turned on. And as said before, to turn on, it must be charged sufficiently.

Quote:
Also is it normal for the on button to not lock into the on position?
Yes, it is. It's so that you can see the blue light, indicating that it's on.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 AM

if the light is flashing, just leave it charging overnight.

the button is set to the hold position when you push it to the right and, yes, it should stay there. To turn it on, you push the button to the left, hold it there for 2 seconds and then let go. It will return to the middle position.

I understand your frustration, but just give it some time.

When it does finally charge up, the first thing you should do is update the firmware. It fixes a bunch of stuff stuff=highly technical term

Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 AM

Ok, Thankyou for the replies.
Last question, Is it normal for the computer to not recognise it? I looked under device manager and it did not even appear there. Is that because of the low battery?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 AM

Yes, probably. Once you charge completely, you can turn it on while plugged in, and it will recognise.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:17 AM

I was laying on my bed reading through the manual and I heard the computer start recognizing it, I rush of relief went through me. I know, I'm just paranoid. But it's docked and now charging so I'm all happy. Can I sync music and such whilst it charges?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:20 AM

that's the thing. some of the batteries ship with *very* low power. when you plug those into a computer using the USB port, there is not enough voltage for the computer to recognize that there is anything connected.

This happens to a lot of people. Those people go on the Creative forums and freak out because they think their players are broken.

If Creative would only put that damn charger back in the box and then put this in the very first paragraph of every page of the instruction book: "Charge your Zen Vision:M fully before first use.", they would have far fewer unhappy customers.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noturning View Post
I was laying on my bed reading through the manual and I heard the computer start recognizing it, I rush of relief went through me. I know, I'm just paranoid. But it's docked and now charging so I'm all happy. Can I sync music and such whilst it charges?
No, please resisting the awful temptation. Just leave it alone. Trust us. We've all been there, done that.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:27 AM

I will eventually buy the AC charger.
Thanks for all your help, the manual says the player will take 5 hours to charge, Is this generally about right?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:48 AM

it varies, but that's about average from what I've read on this and other forums