android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung U Series / F3

Old 02-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up YP-U1: Upgrade to the newest Korean firmware - it's worth it! (SRS-WOW support!)

I just finished upgrading my YP-U1 to the Korean firmware v3.150. Now the U1 supports SRS-WOW sound enhancements, which all other international versions of the firmware don't do (due to license-issues, I assume).

Why should only Koreans get the good sounding U1?

Believe me, the U1 now sounds about 300% better than before. It had a neutral, flat sound, and the EQ didn't help anything either - the perfect player for "audiophiles". But since I'm no "audiophile", and I want my player sounding the way I want, so it's fun for listening - SRS-WOW is a godsend! Now the player has real bass, excellent treble and crossfeed (sort of) - it sounds much more engaging and natural with all my phones.

I stumbled on this firmware by accident - I browsed the international Samsung website for updates for the U1, but somehow I landed on the Korean site and saw the letters "SRS-WOW" in between all the unintelligible Korean letters... so my thought were "WTF??? ZOMG!!!" - why did noone tell me that my U1 can sound GOOD?

Since the Korean version of the firmware is only available for users registered on the Korean Samsung site (what nonsense!) and I couldn't manage to register myself with the Korean instructions - I hacked my way into the download site and managed to get the firmware here: Samsung YP-U1 v3.150 Korean + SRS-WOW - enjoy! I know, I do... a lot more than before!

It's still not close to iAudio sound quality, but it's lightyears ahead of the standard European/US firmwares.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 AM

WOW!

I was never quite happy with the sound of my YP-U1; it did the job but it now sounds better than ever, and I'm using it a lot more because of that. I found this post searching for portable devices with SRS features - lo and behold I already own one - it just needed a tweak!

I know this is an old thread, I just wanted to say thanks very much

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM

You're welcome. This thread has over 2000 views, but you're the first one who replied.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi, could you please tell me how to change the firmware, I dowloaded & started the software coming in your file, but it cant find my YP-U1...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:56 AM

That is weird. Your YP-U1 is MSC mode, right? I don't think there were MTP firmwares ever made for the YP-U1.

Reboot your computer, that might help. Also, plug the YP-U1 directly in one of your computer's USB ports on the backside - not in a hub, and not in a port on the front. Otherwise, use another computer.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM

Hi I found this site by searching for the SRS-WOW firmware upgrade via google.

Okay, I'm having a heck of a time updating my YP-U1X (512MB, black) to this SRS-WOW firmware.

I've downloaded the firmware, read the instructions, installed the YP-U1 updater, etc.

When I plug in the player while holding down the Play button and pushing the reset button, the device manager does register the player as a 'Player Recovery Device Class' device. However, everytime I start up the YP-U1 Updater it complains that it cannot find any devices that are in Recovery Mode, and that it will show me what that means. Then it opens a help page in a web-browser going through the steps that I just did...

It will not let me update the firmware as it always claims the MP3 player is not in recovery mode. I've tried this out on two computers with the same results. Am I doing something wrong? I would really like to have the SRS-WOW feature for this player.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Thanks m8!!!

I registered just to say thank you, this firmware gave second life to my yp-u1vr (btw: i bought mine in Poland, and didn't have any problems with upgrade,it went smoothSo to the author of this thread: whenever you're in Poland be sure to contact me,i'll byu you a keg of finest polish beer Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Heheh, you're welcome. Na dzdrowje!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 PM

Didn't know that polish language is so popularI wrote before that i upgraded firmware, well actually i downgraded it because i had 3.152 (downloaded from samsungs' polish site)Now the player is louder and bass is really kickin' and i have to re-listen every song that i haveOh, i almost forgot :viel gesundheit! (I dont know how to say cheers:P)

Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Default SRS- WOW , Where ?

I need some help.

I know too little about srs -wow.

I upgraded my player to 1.352. Does this version have srs -wow support?

I downgraded it to 1.350 ( Korean version from this forum) but see no difference.

Does srs-wow option appear at Sound Effect menu?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 AM

To Tibor and Gaz80 (or anyone else having problems upgrading to the korean firmware) - see the following post:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=41415

I had exactly the same problems upgrading my YP-U1 as you did, but after a week of googling I stumbled across some intermediate driver versions that are needed before you can go straight to the 3.150 version.

DFKT - could you update the overall firmware sticky with links to the YP-U1 v2.1 and v3.12 drivers from my linked post?

Thanks

Draksyl

Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draksyl View Post
DFKT - could you update the overall firmware sticky with links to the YP-U1 v2.1 and v3.12 drivers from my linked post?
Thanks for the detailed upgrade instructions, Draksyl. You might want to ask Lebellium to add that to his post. I don't want to mess with his perfect layout.