android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia NS-DV

Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This hasn't been added to the official list yet, but:

BUG
: {Confirmed, Major, Firmware: 1.200} Causes BSOD or reboot when connecting the player in MSC mode after loading with more than 2GB of media in MTP mode. - YES

I don't know if 2GB is the hard-and-fast limit, but after enough content is loaded on my NS-DV4G in MTP mode, MSC mode causes a BSoD/forced reboot on any Windows PC I connect to. The same has happened with my friend's NS-DV4G with firmware v1.105.4. Extremely annoying.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
This hasn't been added to the official list yet, but:

BUG
: {Confirmed, Major, Firmware: 1.200} Causes BSOD or reboot when connecting the player in MSC mode after loading with more than 2GB of media in MTP mode. - YES

I don't know if 2GB is the hard-and-fast limit, but after enough content is loaded on my NS-DV4G in MTP mode, MSC mode causes a BSoD/forced reboot on any Windows PC I connect to. The same has happened with my friend's NS-DV4G with firmware v1.105.4. Extremely annoying.

Same model here just updated firmware, and im not having this issue above...

Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickassAMD View Post
Same model here just updated firmware, and im not having this issue above...
Congrats. So you've (1) added more than 2GB-worth of media in MTP mode and, (2) at a later time, connected your player in MSC mode to a WinXP computer without any problems? Can you add files in MSC mode and disconnect the player normally?

For the record, I'm not saying everyone with an NS-DVxG is having this problem, but I do know at least a few of us are...and that's enough to warrant Insignia taking a look into it.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM

If we are still voting here are my candidates:

3 In-player file deletion -- yes
2 Option to scan through audio/video using the thumbwheel -- yes
15 File Tree Browsing -- yes

Plus a new one: Scheduler for recording FM programs..

Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 PM

Here is my list of YES's :
  • -3 In-player file deletion

• -6 Wallpaper
  • -21 Multiple on-the-fly playlisting
  • -8 Portrait mode
  • -84 Option to mute audio while scanning through audio
  • -47 Option to configure thumbwheel sensitivity
  • -24 Video/Photo Folders
  • -44 Add percentage and time for battery
  • -42 LCD backlight should shut off if the player is connected to a computer for a certain period of time
-19 Change boot screen

-
70 Option to prevent LCD from waking up when volume adjustment is made

-37 BUG:{Major, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.200} Player ignores some key presses

-12 <FCR> Power off delay is excessively long

I'd like to amend 12 since I was the one who requested it...but I wasn't specific about a solution.

I think getting rid of the initial 2 second delay would be great, but I can see people getting touchy if the countdown bar is too short. Maybe some feedback from others would be good. Otherwise, I'd be fine with a 3 second countdown bar, but 4 might be safer. Also, if the power button becomes incorporated with a shortcut, then a combination of a 1 second delay and a 3 second countdown may be preferable.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:22 PM

47 Option to configure thumbwheel sensitivity -Yes

37 BUG:{Major, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.200} Player ignores some key presses -Yes

56 .m3u Playlist Support -For real this time, please

BUG: {Confirmed, Major, Firmware: 1.200} Causes BSOD or reboot when connecting the player in MSC mode after loading with more than 2GB of media in MTP mode. -Yes

Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Insignia Moderator

Votes counted. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 AM

Default Rock the Vote

Nice job on this list Tobey. Guilt and greed have now got this lurker
1st the Bugs:
41 BUG: {Confirmed, Major, Firmware: 1.200} Causes BSOD or reboot when connecting the player in MSC mode after loading with more than 2GB of media in MTP mode. [5 votes]
14b BUG:{Major, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.105, 1.200} player looses temporary bookmark [5 votes]
40 BUG:{Major, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.200} Player forgets currently playing track upon microSD insertion/removal [1 vote]

3 In-player file deletion [35 votes]
4 Audio/Video Bookmarks [26 votes]7 Text Viewer [18 votes | -2 votes]
62 Display lyrics text [1 vote]

Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Classic_Rock, with regards to #41, what program (if any) have you been using to transfer songs onto your player in MTP mode? Is it MediaMonkey, by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind that...I just tried using WMP11 exclusively, and the MSC BSoD/reboot bug still occurred.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Classic_Rock, with regards to #41, what program (if any) have you been using to transfer songs onto your player in MTP mode? Is it MediaMonkey, by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind that...I just tried using WMP11 exclusively, and the MSC BSoD/reboot bug still occurred.
MM and J.River MC. I have not tired WMP11
Both with and with out external installed.
Since I use playlisting exclusively now, it's no biggie to me.
It's sooo much faster transfering files in MSC than the resource heavy MTP, but M3U is not ready for prime time with 1.2

But this is a bug that really needs looking into.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 AM

I want the option to select the next song.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 PM

6 wallpaper: YES!!!!
36 Color schemes: Yes
33 black color: Yes
37 User custom bootscreens: Yes
8 Portrait Mode: YES!
24 photo / video tools

Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Feature Request List

-3 In-player file deletion
(Description: Gives users the ability to select and delete various files from the player) YES

-4 Audio/Video Bookmarks YES

7 Text Viewer YES

Old 08-11-2007, 01:25 PM

3 In-player file deletion [YES]
21 Multiple on-the-fly playlisting [YES]
47 Option to configure thumbwheel sensitivity [YES]
45 Holding the menu button opens up a context menu [YES]
41 BUG: {Confirmed, Major, Firmware: 1.200} Causes BSOD or reboot when connecting the player in MSC mode after loading with more than 2GB of media in MTP mode. [YES]
19 Change boot screen [YES]
87 Change how the player handles microSD insertion/removal [YES]

Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Thumbs down New V 1.200 MTP Bug--Ogg not enumerated (also desired features)

Hello Tobey, et al.,

I have a new bug for the V 1.200 Firmware. Media Monkey, which supports Ogg files, will not push them to the player because the player's DeviceInfo object, as defined in the microsoft MTP standard (which I perused) is not defined as supporting Ogg files. This bug does NOT show up with WMP11 because this program does support the .ogg extension as a valid media filetype in your library.

I contacted the folks at Media Monkey about a temporary workaround in their forum, and via email. They informed me that they are using microsoft's implementation of the MTP protocol, and that my suspicion of the problem lying with Insignia are correct.

Normally, this would not be the end of world, as you could manually push Ogg files via MSC to the player. However, I too have Bug 41 (BSOD in MSC Mode). I have experienced BSODs on Dell Dimension and IBM Thinkpads, all at less than 2GB content (approx 500mb content). I can push small numbers of Ogg files in MSC to the player, confirming that they play, and that V 1.200 reads their tags correctly.

Attached to this post are two text files. These were made by Media Monkey's MTP logger, which performs a query on the player's DeviceInfo. I have included one logged in MTP mode, and one logged in MSC mode.

The bug dispensed with, here are my desired feature votes:
1. Turn the screen off during sync/charging, after a timeout!! GRRR, burning out the LCD backlight to charge the battery, crazy!
2. Indicate the player battery is charging just before the player automatically shuts off when attached to a USB charger. Need to know if the charge is taking at times when you aren't sync'ing the unit.
3. Give me a file browser in player that can delete files (GRR again!).
4. Enumerate the microSD slot properly in MTP mode.

Some of the others would be great, too :-)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Insignia MTP Log.txt (11.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt Insignia MSC Log.txt (2.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

gtphill, is the faulty microSD slot recognition in MTP mode an Insignia problem, or a MediaMonkey one? I had assumed the latter, since neither WMP11 nor Windows XP have trouble seeing the external drive in MTP mode -- just MediaMonkey.

Also, with respect to #2: My player never turns off when connected to a live AC-to-USB charger, but its screen will go black at some point if the backlight is set to "off." I can bring the screen back up (and verify charging) by tapping any of the player's buttons. Are you certain your device is actually powering off while recharging?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
gtphill, is the faulty microSD slot recognition in MTP mode an Insignia problem, or a MediaMonkey one? I had assumed the latter, since neither WMP11 nor Windows XP have trouble seeing the external drive in MTP mode -- just MediaMonkey.

Also, with respect to #2: My player never turns off when connected to a live AC-to-USB charger, but its screen will go black at some point if the backlight is set to "off." I can bring the screen back up (and verify charging) by tapping any of the player's buttons. Are you certain your device is actually powering off while recharging?
As for you first question, you may be right. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that because MMonkey is using the microsoft implementation of MTP, that it was not their issue.

As for number 2, I should have been more clear. If I attach the player in MTP or MSC mode, the screen stays lit till I disconnect. In MSC mode, if I tell windows to "safely remove hardware" the screen immediately goes black, and I believe that the unit is still charging at this point. If I plug the unit in at home on my kludged together usb frankencharger, it shows charging till the backlight times out, and then just sits there like a log. I will check if it actually turns off after my timeout period.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:50 AM

NEW REQUEST:

-Moods
(If You are sad... just go to music library and select mood, then select your mood)

-Make the player more compatible with rhapsody best buy, or make an own software (make playlist, alum art, moods...)

Old 08-14-2007, 02:53 AM

• ID
  • -3 In-player file deletion
    -36 Ability to choose different color schemes/themes
  • -4 Audio/Video Bookmarks
    -6 Wallpaper
  • -21 Multiple on-the-fly playlisting
    -7 Text Viewer
  • -24 Video/Photo Folder
  • -39 Games
TO ALL YES!!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM

My number one request at the moment would be the fixing of the USB and BSoD issues on the latest F/W release so I can finally upgrade

Besides that:

3 In-player file deletion

36 Ability to choose different color schemes/themes

4 Audio/Video Bookmarks

6 Wallpaper

45 Holding the menu button opens up a context menu

Thanks for the consideration,
Juny.