android
Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarker20 View Post
Hello,

Just joined as I have a 30gb Zen Xtra. Used it for years and years every day. Upgraded my PC recently to a Vista machine and my Zen won't work. Head to Creative website, read that I need latest firmware, download and try to install (on my old XP Home machine)

Now I'm stuck in 'rescue mode v1.13' I've tried all the instructions on the forums and it won't update the firmware at all.

I have today formatted the HDD on my old XP machine and clean installed XP service pack two. Making sure I didn't install any Creative items or updated Media Player. Still the firmware application will not recognise my player, keeps saying it's not connected.

Installed the Creative driver, still the same. I've followed every bit of advice and forum guide but cannot get the firmware updated or installed.

Is there any way to manually put the firmware onto the drive? Anything? Otherwise I'm off to buy and ipod!
First I want to ask you why are you so quick to give upon your Zen if you have been using it "for years and years every day"?

While in rescue mode, select the reload firmware option, upgrade to WMP10 on your PC, connect it, and see if gets recognized properly. If it doesn't, try doing the same, except this time (since WMP10 is installed) install the Creative driver for the Zen and try connecting again.

After you connect the Zen, check Device Manager to make sure that the drivers have been loaded correctly, if it is still not showing connected.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2008, 08:09 PM
ABI Invaluable

Just to add...

The Zen Xtra is an odd beast. It is not a true MTP device, which means it requires a specialized driver for the host computer to detect it. It also requires Creative's Nomad Explorer to be installed. Once you get your player successfully updated to firmware v2.10.03, then it will be an MTP device for driver purposes, which means WMP11 should be able to detect and work with it.

If nothing seems to be able to get the thing detectable on your XP machine, then you may need to remove the player's hard drive, format it on a computer (either a laptop, or within a 2.5" USB enclosure) as a FAT drive, then put it back into your player, format it within the player, and try again.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 AM

I dont want to give up on it. I'm trying everyday to fix it.

The recovery tool doesn't apply to the Zen Xtra 30gb. I downloaded it anyway. It just claims the device is not connected.

My computer shows the player as 'NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra', 20mb in space but no programme will recognise it.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did it recognize it as a 30GB drive in WinXP before you upgraded to Vista?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
ABI Invaluable

I do know that an Xtra with non-PFS firmware works with XP, but you need to have installed both the non-PFS driver AND the non-PFS version of Nomad Explorer for it to work.

Verify that all of the software and driver you have installed are NOT for PlaysForSure-enabled Xtras.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM

I don't have Win 2000 unfortunately. Just XP home and Pro plus a new machine with Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Where can I get the drivers listed above from?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarker20 View Post
Just XP home and Pro plus a new machine with Vista Home Premium 32bit
The Vista computer is the one you upgraded, correct? If it is, I am wondering if the Creative software that was on it when it was WinXP has interferred with the Touch working properly after upgrading the Vista..... In Vista, the Zen Touch should show as "Zen Touch" in Device Manager".

Anyway, what does Device Manager say about the Touch on the WinXP computer? While in recovery mode on the Touch, have you selected the reload firmware option before trying to run the upgrade program on the computer? Have you given it any thought as to taking ZenChick's advice on removing the hard drive and reformating it?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Smile I've Fixed It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'VE FIXED IT! I'VE FIXED IT!!!!!!!! REALLY!!!!!!! IT'S ACTUALLY WORKING!

Okay, calm down...

I've just built a PC at work that runs on XP Pro 64 bit edition. Thought I would try the Zen in that. I installed all the Microsoft updates except any Mediaplayer related stuff.

The PC picked it up straight away as an MTP device. I ran the firmware update and that worked first time no problem.

It's all back to normal with the latest firmware, works in Vista no problem.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear. Good job Chris. It's nice having access to multiple computers.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Default Phew...

Just got the task of putting all my music back on it, can't complain about that though.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No you can't. At least you still had your music to put back on.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Default Adventures of a Zen Xtra

I write this in the hopes that it will help someone NOT have to go through what I did.

When my 1st MP3 player started giving me problems, I started looking for a new one. The main thing I wanted was a player that I didn’t have to open up and change batteries in. That gets old. I started listening to portable players when they took cassette tapes. Remember those? So when I was looking I was concerned with a few things…
1) Does it have a charging system that just allows me to plug it in?
2) Storage capacity? Needed more than the 32 meg that my 1st player had.
3) It wasn’t an iPod.

I stumbled across the Zen Xtra while looking for one at my local Best Buy. Had the storage I wanted, 30 gig, and an internal charging mechanism. The software took some getting used to, but at least I didn’t have to import my whole music collection into iTunes. Besides, once you got used to it, I didn’t think it was that bad. Anyway, one too many drops and the extended warranty I paid when I bought the 30 gig Zen paid for itself. At some point Creative quit making them and upped the storage capacity. So I got a new 40 gig Zen for the same price. Cool. I used it over the years and it gave me no problem until…..

Updating the firmware. Plays for sure my a**. How bout ‘Breaks for sure’? In defense of Creative, I didn’t exactly follow the instructions for updating the firmware, but the program that does it could have been made more idiot proof. Following the instructions you are supposed to manually remove the old firmware before installing the new firmware. I don’t know if that would have helped as I didn't do it. The player locked up during updating and was hosed. If you are reading this, you know the short version. The player boots directly to recovery mode and won’t get out of it.

So off to the web to find out what the hell is going on. Turns out more people had this problem than should have. IF by not following the directions actually causes this problem, the firmware update program could have been made more idiot proof by flagging the Zen during update and telling you to open the Read Me to see how you are supposed to update it and abort the program. OR it could have done it automatically. Either way it didn’t work

Well the extended warranty was expired on this one, and the Zen Xtra isn’t made anymore. Now I have a collection of MP3 players, 5 Rio Carbons, 2 Rio 600s, and 7 PSPs, which I don’t use for music, just movies. Notice there are no iPods in there anywhere. So did it really matter my Zen didn’t work? To me, yes as I was the one that broke it, and it was still a kick a** player. Besides, no other players couldn’t touch it as far as storage goes.

Well I have this theory, if what you are trying to fix isn’t under warranty, and it doesn’t work, how much more broke could you make it? So I found this forum in a search engine and read away. Things didn’t look good as a lot of people that posted on here tried a lot of things and none of them were actually working. Every time I tried to update the firmware, it told me my player wasn’t connected. Nothing I did worked. It is fair to note that during my efforts I hosed the 40 gig drive, but the Zen didn’t cause this. The drive was removed when this happened. I started testing this with a 2 gig IBM drive. After all, it was nothing more than a 2.5” laptop drive, that was in the Zen. Well on the outside chance that I actually got this working, 2 gig wasn’t going to be big enough as my storage capacity just got downsized by a factor of 20, if it worked. So I bought a 160 gig drive to replace the 40 gig. Now I didn’t need 160 gig worth of storage on my Zen but my fall back plan was to put the 160 in laptop #1, pull the HD out of laptop #1, and use it in the Zen, but first I had to get the Zen past the Recovery mode.

Thus the adventure begins, as if it wasn’t adventurous enough up to this point.

Now I tried the procedures listed on this forum on 6 different computers.
The OS’s I used were, WinME, Win2K, WinXP Pro (x3), and WinXP Home (x1)
All the computers would find the Zen, some would actually install the drivers and it was looking good in the Device Manager. The others would find the device but never find the drivers for it, even if I pointed Device Manager to the correct location of the drivers, it wouldn’t install them as they ‘Weren’t the correct drivers for the device’.

Now the computers that found and installed the Zen correctly, and the Zen was looking good in device manager, the firmware flash program wouldn’t work as the ‘Device was not connected’
So where does that leave me? Frustrated. Here is my solution, or what worked for me and if you are feeling lucky, it may work for you. I am not going to be responsible for any damage done to your computer or Zen by following this, use at your own risk.

In WinXP Pro:
1) Disconnect the Zen
2) Uninstall the Jukebox drivers from your system using the Add/Remove programs in the Control panel
3) From your root drive, mine was drive ‘C’, browse to the directory Program Files/Creative folder, and be sure that the drivers are actually gone. If you have no other Creative hardware installed, and you want to be sure, just delete the Creative folder. Be sure you have no other Creative hardware that requires this folder. I had a SB Audigy so I had to be careful.
4) OPTIONAL STEP – I hacked my registry and manually deleted all files associated with the Zen. Don’t know if this is necessary or not.
5) Reboot the machine
6) Check the version of Media Player you have installed. If it isn’t
version 9, roll it back to 9. Once installed, proceed to step 7
7) Reboot again
8) Pop onto Microsoft’s web site and get the manual download for Media
Player 10
9) Install Media Player 10
10) Reboot
11) Plug in the Zen and Windows should find the drivers for it, and it should
show in device manager as a Portable Device

So up to this point it’s all good. Or is should be at any rate.
What I didn’t do was install Creative’s drivers for the Zen. Read that again.

So my Zen has no HD in it, remember? So I plugged the 2 gig IBM drive, into the Zen, and using the recovery menu, formatted it. It showed up as a 2 gig drive. So it’s still all good.

Plug the Zen into the computer.
With Media Player 10, the computer should find the Zen and install the correct drivers for it. I still haven't installed the Creative drivers.
Run the ‘Breaks for Sure’ firmware update and it should install.

Trouble is I wanted more that a 2 gig drive for storage. Disconnect everything from the computer, and replace the 2 gig drive with the 160 gig drive. Run the process again and it works. Almost. Apparently what I would call the BIOS in the Zen doesn’t recognize drives bigger than 130 gig. The drive shows up as about 130. 131 and some change to be exact. So I replaced it with a 100 gig drive and ran the process again. BooYah!! It worked again so now I have a Zen Xtra with 100 gig worth of space.

So tell me again, how much space does an iPod have on it?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Smile Thank You!

You are my hero Walkertron!
I felt very bad after frying my girlfriend's zen xtra with what looked like a straight forward firmware upgrade.
I could not believe you need to uninstall MP11, but after trying without much luck to shortcut, I followed your instructions step by step and
Tada - it worked on the first try.

cheers
MrBoogle

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABI MrBoogle. It's good to hear you got your Xtra back up and running the way it should be.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-10-2008, 08:36 AM

I tried and I tried doing everything you guys said here but is seems that it just doesn't help. I still have the "Firmware Problem" in my zen xtra and I don't know what to do after the player boot up it shows me the rescue mode menu and no firmware update helps

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Steps Please

Please explain the steps you are following to get the firmware updated. What OS are you using? Is this the only computer you have access too?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp8669 View Post
I tried and I tried doing everything you guys said here but is seems that it just doesn't help. I still have the "Firmware Problem" in my zen xtra and I don't know what to do after the player boot up it shows me the rescue mode menu and no firmware update helps
Hello scorp8669. Welcome.

Make sure you are using a computer that has a good connection with your Xtra. With the Xtra booted into Recovery Mode and connected to the computer, make sure the Xtra is recognized correctly and that the driver is loading correctly in Device Manager.

If you didn't have the PFS firmware installed before or are using an OS besides Vista, you may need this driver in order for it to load correctly.

Here is the latest PFS firmware to execute after booting into Recovery Mode and selecting the Reload Firmware option and connecting to computer when prompted. Keep in mind, if you didn't already have a PFS firmware version installed on the Xtra, upgrading to to it will format (you will lose all files) the Xtra.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-12-2008, 04:14 AM

That's the wierd thing, my PC (Windows XP sp2 WMP10) does recognise ZEN. In the properties it shows my ZEN with 2.10.03 firmware but when the ZEN boots up it shows me the "firmware problem" and goes straight to the Rescue Mode.
I tried to update the firmware following the instruction given on this forum but still no luck. Right after I'm performing Reload OS, and try to update the firmware the firmware program says the the ZEN isn't connected.
Maybe if I'll reformat the HDD in my Zen, will it help?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

scorp8669, make sure you have all of the Creative software uninstalled (if you have them installed). When you do, then see if it is detected correctly. Did you verify that the driver is loading without error in Device manager? Yes, a Format can help, but keep in mind that a Format will erase all of your files surrently on your Xtra.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 PM

Default I agree....

Be sure the creative drivers aren't on your system anywhere. Look in your program files directory and be sure that there isn't a 'Creative' folder in there. If there is, be sure that there isn't a Jukebox folder.