android
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM

what do you mean by that? the only drivers I installed were: JB3MV2_PCWDRV_US_2_01_00.EXE

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Before formatting the drive, have you tried just doing a Cleanup from within Recovery Mode first to see if that helps or returns an error? Again, how's the driver loading in Device Manager? If the driver is not loading correctly, the Xtra will not be detected properly.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Default No Creative Drivers

Do not use the creative drivers. I didn't and that helped greatly. Actually it was the only way I could get it to work. Let windows use its own drivers from Media Player 10.

But be sure those drivers are gone from your system or Windows has a nasty habit of finding them again.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Those drivers are for only when no PlaysForSure firmware is installed on the Xtra. When you upgrade to WMP10, WinXP become MTP compatible and if using the Xtra with the PlaysForSure firmware, the Xtra become an MTP device; which is why then you would not need the Creative non-MTP drivers. However, if you are still using the Xtra as a non-PFS device, then you would still need to use the Creative drivers since the Xtra would not be an MTP device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
If you didn't have the PFS firmware installed before or are using an OS besides Vista, you may need this driver in order for it to load correctly.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 AM

Default PlaysForSure, yeah right...

My problem started when I tried to install the PFS firmware, then the Zen went into recovery mode and my adventure began. To me, using it as a MTP device is much easier to put on and arrange music to my liking. I guess it is a matter of preference actually.

So am I to understand once the Zen is in recovery mode, is it using the old firmware, (the firmware before the upgrade)? Or did the PFS firmware screw it up and put in in recovery mode as it did on mine? If the latter was the case, then what firmware was it using is the Zen using once in recovery mode?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My problem started when I tried to install the PFS firmware
What happened?

Quote:
So am I to understand once the Zen is in recovery mode, is it using the old firmware, (the firmware before the upgrade)? Or did the PFS firmware screw it up and put in in recovery mode as it did on mine? If the latter was the case, then what firmware was it using is the Zen using once in recovery mode?
When the ZVM is booted into Recovery Mode it is not booted into the OS/Firmware of the Zen. The Recovery Mode is a host system recovery utility that operates outside of the firmware. So, it is independent of operation with or without firmware installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM

I formatted the drive using FAT32 partition, but again when I connected the player to the PC the firmware update software still doesn't recognised that the ZEN was connected and it still shows when I boot up my ZEN the "firmware problem" message. Did I do something wrong?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to do a Format on the drive in Recovery Mode before you load the firmware. This will ensure the Zen creates its own unique file system in order to the firmware to function correctly. This could also cause detection problems if not formatted correctly. Give that a shot and let me know.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 AM

I did a format, now... when I'm doing the Reload OS, it writes me to update the firmware now, so I guess that I did everything OK, but the firmware software doesn't recognise the ZEN, so I think the problem is in the drivers.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I did a format, now...
Ok, good.

Quote:
when I'm doing the Reload OS, it writes me to update the firmware now, so I guess that I did everything OK, but the firmware software doesn't recognise the ZEN, so I think the problem is in the drivers.
Yes, it could very well be. Make sure all other Creative software is uninstalled. Again, I know this is my third time asking and I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't important.... How does the driver look in Device Manager; is it in the correct category and show no errors?

Quote:
Hello scorp8669. Welcome.

Make sure you are using a computer that has a good connection with your Xtra. With the Xtra booted into Recovery Mode and connected to the computer, make sure the Xtra is recognized correctly and that the driver is loading correctly in Device Manager.
If it is showing correctly and doesn't have an error try this (From the Zen FAQ):

To re-install the Zen's MTP driver if not being recognized correctly:

1. With the ZVM connected, in Device Manager.
2. Right click on the ZVM listing and slect the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the ZVM from the USB port.
4. Wait a minute, then plug it back in and take note in Device Manager that it refreshes and reloads the driver properly.
5. Once it reloads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.
6. Then try to see if it is recognized correctly by the firmware updater.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM

I did it, same thing, naybe there are some slternative drivers?
Anyway I've attached some images showing how my zen is recognised by Windows.
Attached Images
File Type: png sshot-1.png (161.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png sshot-2.png (17.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sshot-3.jpg (43.9 KB, 9 views)

Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, it may be using the wrong driver. Is all of the Creative software uninstalled? Make sure you also uninstall the Creative driver package you installed JB3MV2_PCWDRV_US_2_01_00.EXE. On your system, it is not needed and is most likely interfering.

On the driver tab, can you tell me what the name of the driver file the Xtra is using?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 PM

here it is...
Attached Images
File Type: png sshot-1.png (16.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png sshot-2.png (13.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That looks right. Do you have all of the Creative software uninstalled, including the driver? Are you sure you don't have WMP11 installed?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 02:38 PM

It seems to me that the only option left is to reinstall Windows XP... I'll let you know what happened after clean install

Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Default Here's what happened....

Quote:
What happened?

My Zen was working fine and I decided to upgrade the firmware. I know the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but the new firmware options seemed attractive once I read what the firmware did. So I tried to install the firmware, following the instructions on Creatives web site, and crash, into recovery mode it went.

A message to Scorp, reinstalling your OS may not fix the problem as see the number of different computers I tried to fix mine on, and the different OS's. The problem I believe still lies with the creative drivers and the version of Media Player you are using.

Updating the Carbon's firmware was never this difficult.....

Old 08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

scorp8669: The issue doesn't appear to be with Windows directly (the driver is loading correctly with no error), but more so with the Creative software or what it has done to Windows. Have you tried reinstalling WMP10? This should reinstall MTP and the Windows Media Framework. Can you access the Xtra or see it under My Computer as a Portable Device?

RUMBLE: Yeah, focus on getting a good connection with the computer (or different one if you can try). Do a Cleanup to first make sure the database is running correctly. Connect the Zen to the computer and focus on getting the driver in Device Manager recognized and loading without error. Then try running the firmware update or Creative's Recovery Tool. Hopefully it will be detected. If not, maybe try reininstalling WMP10 and trying again.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-17-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM

hello all

I SEE OTHERS ARE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS

re - nomad jukebox zen xtra 30 gig

had it for years and today tried a upgrade to playforsure firmware 2.10.3 half way through it stopped responding and now is in rescue mode, i am using windows xp pro with sp3 installed. windows now only sees the zen as a 20meg drive, which i cant access when i plug in the usb cable.i think that i have now deleted the firmware and cant seem to reinstall any firmware and windows will not see the device correctly.

music, all backed up on another external drive, so not concerned about lost music on device

in recovery mode the creative won't let me do anything have deen trying some of the stuff posted here with no luck, i wish i had left the creative as is. how do i get windows to detect the creative device so i can then install the firmware on to it.

cheers for any help advice
alan

Old 09-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello GM7VCV. Welcome.

Quote:
i think that i have now deleted the firmware and cant seem to reinstall any firmware and windows will not see the device correctly.
Yeah, that is exactly what is going on.

How exactly is the Xtra being detected? Is the driver loading correctly in Device Manager? Is it just not being detected by the downloaded firmware file?

Quote:
how do i get windows to detect the creative device so i can then install the firmware on to it.
Since you have your files backed-up, in Recovery Mode:

- Select Format (erase all files and re-creates file-system)
- When the Format has completed (do twice), then select Reboot
- When booted back into Recovery Mode, select Reload Firmware
- When prompted to connect to the computer, do so and then execute the downloaded firmware file to install the firmware

Zen FAQ

Old 10-04-2008, 04:33 AM

Hello BobbyRS
cheers for the help

the device manager says - This device is working properly.

under general tab
device type portable devices
manafacturer creative technologies
location 0(nomad jukebox zen xtra)

under driver tab
driver provider microsoft
driver date 22/02/2006
driver version 5.2.5326.4762

when I plug the zen into the usb port, the portable device icon appears in the bottom right hand corner next to clock, when i click on it to open the device, it says its a Storage media 20.0MB

when i run the firmware update it says, your player not connected please connect the player, it as if the firmware does not detect the driver, so i might have a driver problem

also tried the rescue software, but it didnot detect the zen.

these are the files i am using from the creative website
driver jb3mv2 pcwdrv us 1 30 03.exe
firmware zenxtra pcfw la 1 20 08.exe

also tried
jb3mv2 pcwdrv us 2 01 00.exe
zenextrap4saudible pcfw lb 2 10 03.exe

cheers for any help, as the zen is a great device
nomad jukebox zen extra 30gig