It’s called the Galaxy Player S Wifi 4.2, so its name should be a dead giveaway that it’s slightly larger than the 4.0 and slightly smaller than the 5.0. Also, it’s white/grey-ish instead of black.
Other than that, there really aren’t any big differences to spot between the various models. They all have the same 800 x 480 resolution (in an IPS variety on the 4.2, contrary to Samsung’s usual AMOLED screens), same 1 GHz processor speed, same Android 2.3 operating system, same codec support, same connectivity options, and so on. The new 4.2 still seems to lack HDMI output – an issue users have criticized as one of the biggest shortcomings of the 4.0 and 5.0, and a major drawback of an otherwise nicely specced PMP.
The 4.2 comes with 8 or 16 GB of internal memory, and of course a MicroSD slot to add some more. Its battery holds 1500 mAh, so let the speculations about its run time begin. No release date or street price have been announced yet.
Oh yeah, before I forget it – the 4.2 comes preloaded with some random game. This seems to be a big enough deal to mention it in the specs sheet of the press release.
[Samsung press release via Engadget]
Forum member SteveS cooked up a custom kernel and ROM for the European version of the Galaxy S Wifi 4.0. Note that this won’t work on the American or Korean version of the Galaxy (yet), nor on the Galaxy S Wifi 5.0.
Besides gaining root/superuser access to the device and various interface tweaks, this ROM includes the Voodoo sound patch, effectively fixing Samsung’s botched audio output. Voodoo fixes the amplification gain for less background hiss and louder output, and – similar to Cowon players – adds a hardware parametric EQ and a hardware 3D spatialization effect for the Wolfson audio CODEC as well.
- Based on Original XXKPQ Kernel
- Added Voodoo sound patches
- Can work with XXKPN and XXKPQ stock Samsung ROM.
- To use Voodoo sound you need to install Voodoo Control or Voodoo Control Plus
- Contains the latest STeVE’s Kernel 1.0: you don’t need to flash separately
- Based on original XXKPQ Samsung stock ROM
- Contains root and superuser permissions
- Tweaked theme: Honeycomb status bar icons, transparent notification pane, ICS windows effects
- CRT screen off animation
- If you start from a XXKPN or XXKPQ you can skip wipe to keep your existing applications and settings
Check Steve’s forum thread for discussion and download links.
Samsung insider Lebellium posted some first impressions of the two new Samsung Galaxy S Wifi devices which he gathered at Samsung France Open Day.
Check out the nitty gritty in the forum thread.